“You had me at hello” said Renée Zellweger to Tom Cruise in Jerry Maguire.
I, too, love to be wowed. Though, these days it rarely happens, an impressive first encounter that gives me a business adrenaline rush.
At a recent event, I was so disappointed by what I saw; Drab attire, vacant expressions, people talking over each other, checking phones, fake laughs and room scanning. Maybe my expectations are too high but we can be better than this! Here’s to a killer first impression:
1. Wear a power colour, strike a pose and beam your huge smile at me! Don’t blend in, be different, be remembered.
2. What’s my name? Remember it and say it several times whilst you speak. I will quickly like and trust you.
3. Create chemistry by showing an interest in me, listen attentively. I will feel special and we will build a stronger rapport.
4. Look me in the eye when you speak to me and hold my gaze. You will feel a powerful connection between us which will ignite our relationship.
5. Match your facial expression to what I am saying. This shows you are listening and care. No poker faces please.
6. Don’t fake it, wear your heart on your sleeve. If you share, I will share and a bond is formed.